Friday, September 4, 2009

Monday Prayer, Tailgate and Cleanup

It was another rockin' week of ministry, beginning at 7:00 A.M. for our second Monday morning prayer meeting of the semester. The room was packed with students seeking God for what He might be willing to do on our behalf.
I had the privilege of praying with this group of guys that live in Barton Hall. They have a connection group of anywhere between 8-12 guys from their dorm, and they are praying for their whole floor to come to Christ. They meet every night at 10 PM to read the word and prayer. College ministry...
Yesterday we had a TSC tailgate before the Cyclones took on the mighty Bison of North Dakota State. New coach. New offense. We knew we'd be in for a nail biter. And it didn't disappoint (It was a little closer than the final score indicated). About 400 students came to tailgate.

After meeting about the 50th person while wandering around for 3 hours asking name-major-living area, my relational tank was full. I feel bad that I will only remember a hand full of names. But I did have some very fun conversations.

Like the guy I asked, "Materials engineering, huh? Well what is your dream job when you graduate?"

The dude almost teared up as he said, "Polymers. There's just so many possibilities with polymers."

I was thinking: Poly-who? I didn't have the guts to ask what the heck he was talking about. So I moved on.
The only bummer of the night: we ran out of gas for the grill (thus, the long line).
This just might be one of the highlights of my year. Late into the night, the Janitors of God take over and clean Jack Trice stadium, after 50,000 people make a big mess. The award for the nastiest mess was a guy who reached down to pick up a napkin, and it was covering a pile of puke. Then, the popcorn bag next to it was filled to the top with puke.

This is where all of you alumni get a chance to comment on your stadium cleanup horror stories. I've got MANY up my sleeve.

And it's also your chance to be thankful you're not a student cleaning the stadium at 1 AM. Or me, a 32 year old cleaning the stadium at 1 AM.
Okay, this is cool. We had a student for every row from the upper deck to the first row by the field on BOTH SIDES! We had over 300 students cleaning, and the majority finished cleaning the stadium in an hour and a half.

That doesn't include blowers and trucks. They left around 1:30 or 2 AM.

All this is a reminder that this ministry is not about a bunch of hype on Thursday nights. May it never be! We are servants of Christ, willing to pick up puke for nothing in return.

May God bless the work of our (dirty) hands. We cherish your prayers for us- to that end.

1 comment:

  1. Go Cyclones! Go Rockstars!! Although I'd love to be a part of the lovely blower crew, I must say, it was nice to wake up this morning and not be sneezing black goo!

    ReplyDelete