Friday, November 6, 2009

The Bridge Night

Last night at Salt Company I committed rhetorical suicide. But I knew it would be for the good. I hoped, anyway.

I had some friends (Andy and Jonno Sage) build a 16 foot bridge right behind me during the whole message. They had hammer drills and were making all kinds of noise. It was a huge distraction. But I wanted it to be the focus... Jesus Christ as the bridge from death to life.

The building of the bridge was a little trite (that's a nice way of saying "cheesy"), but it really helped illustrate John 5:24 "whoever believes...has crossed over from death to life."

At the end, I gave people the opportunity to write their name on a post it note and walk over the bridge. Some trusted Christ for the first time, others for the thousandth time said "Yes" to following Jesus.
Here's a stack of over 600 post its that were on the bridge, this top one says, "I'm lost, bring me back to you!"
"Dear God,
Please help me find myself in this sea of people."
I loved this one, from one of God's trophies of grace (Martin), "382 days and counting" (for a little more on Martin click here then here...just looking at the pictures alone tells his story)
This is a reminder to be praying that God would answer this student's prayer, "I want to be free."
We had a great turnout, 670+ students. It's a blessing to have room for them all in the auditorium. It's too early to say, but I wonder if having more space has encouraged people to bring friends. I hope that we are able to break through the 500-700 plateau that we've seen the last 9 years or so.

By God's grace, we will see more and more students become followers of Jesus. To the praise of his glorious grace!

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. You may have committed rhetorical suicide, but it seems like God doesn't care too much about that! Thanks for letting me be a part of it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the blog update! Love what you guys are doing! Emily

    ReplyDelete